Friday 8 July 2011

Cinderella - Saturday 25th June, Shepherds Bush Empire, London

The last time I saw Cinderella was back in 1991 on the Heartbreak Station Tour at the Hammersmith Odeon. 20 years later and celebrating their 25th Anniversary Tour, they returned to a sell out crowd at the Empire. Now, early this year Bon Jovi announced a London date in Hyde Park as part of Hard Rock Calling for the 25th June. As I missed their residency at the O2 Arena last year I decided to go as I hadn't seen them for years. I purchased my ticket and updated my diary. Then a month ago Cinderella announced a one off date in London on the 25th June. The same day as Bon Jovi was playing! Now we have a dilemma. What concert does one go to? No contest really. I sold my Bon Jovi and bought my ticket for Cinderella! Did I make the right choice? Absolutely! So on a hot Saturday evening at a packed Empire I waited for their first London show in over 20 years. As with their appearance at the Download Festival in 2010, Cinderella still consist of all 4 original members, Tom Keifer (vocals, guitar, piano & saxophone), Jeff LaBar (guitar), Eric Brittngham (bass) and Fred Coury (drums). They were one of the highlights of Download so I was looking forward to seeing them playing again especially as this was a headline set. Starting of with "Once Around the Ride"  from Night Songs they proceeded to play a 13 song set culled from their first 3 albums, the aforementioned Night Songs, Long Cold Winter and Heartbreak Station. Tom Keifer's voice was top class, the problems he has had with his vocal cords a distant memory. A surprise early in the set of  "Shake Me" was soon followed by "Heartbreak Station", "Somebody Save Me" and "Night Songs".  There was a mid set of lull of "Coming Home" and a surprise inclusion of  "Second Wind". When a roadie wheeled out a piano we knew it was time for "Don't Know what You Got (Till It's Gone)" and cue for a mass singalong. The pace then picked up again with "Nobody's Fool" and Gypsy Road". 2 encores followed of  "Long Cold Winter" and set closer of "Shelter Me". Tom's parting words was that they would return, hopefully with a full UK tour this time.
A point to note, Cinderella were supported by Houston. Great AOR sounding band. Check 'em out.
Another point to note, I heard that Bon Jovi played a good gig as well.




Cinderalla Live at Download 2010


1 comment:

  1. Hi, do you still have this flyer? If you want to get rid of it please let me know! Katiebob@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete