Sunday 26 November 2017

W.A.S.P - 27 October 2017, O2 Forum Kentish Town, London

Confession time! I think I might have been the only person here tonight that had not listened to the "The Crimson Idol" album in full! Apart from the singles ("Chainsaw Charlie" & "The Idol", the rest of the album was a mystery to me.In the age of Spotify, I should have listened to the album before going to the concert. I didn't so my mistake! I got the impression that this was good album, however I went home from the concert disappointed. The clue was the title of the tour - "Re-Idolized: The 25th Anniversary of the Crimson Idol".Don't get me wrong, I like W.A.S.P but playing an album in it's entirety that I'm not familiar with, well that's my fault.Despite my misgivings it was a packed Forum and all around me the crowd were really getting into it. On stage were video screens showing film snippets that were specially made to back up the album. I found them a bit distracting especially when they kept repeating themselves.Once the album had been played in full, the encore consisted of a 'classic hits' set of 5 songs. Again I was disappointed, why play "Golgotha", when they have plenty of other songs in their back catalogue! W.A.S.P these days just consist of Blackie and as he is now religious some songs won't even get a look in ("Animal" for example). Hopefully next time I see them I would have finally got round to listening to "The Crimson Idol"!

Rating: 5/10

Setlist: The Titanic Overture, The Invisible Boy, Arena of Pleasure, Chainsaw Charlie (Murders in the New Morgue), The Gypsy Meets the Boy, Doctor Rockter, I Am One, The Idol, Hold on to My Heart, The Great Misconception of Me, (ENCORE): The Real Me, L.O.V.E Machine, Wild Child, Golgotha, I Wanna Be Somebody.


No comments:

Post a Comment